edit: ok i haven’t posted this yet but i have a few things to say about this
- We had to pick two artists, paired by my professor, to do a style mash-up painting. I chose to do Rouault/Hokusai.
- Flowers as a shout out to Hokusai’s flower studies. Lilies as a shout out to muh Mama Mary (one flower has 7 petals instead of 6 whoops).
- Birds because I like Hokusai’s bird studies too. Also Matthew 6:26.
- The path is there because of thi— err, i mean, this…
- The path also leads to a tree that is also meant to mimic a halo or the crown of thorns.
I could go on to more tidbits but that’s as far as the symbolism goes here.
I learned about saint Maria of Goretti (sp?) Who was said to have died from a stabbing of fourteen times by her attempted rapist. It was also said that she saw the blessed Virgin Mary as she died.
This is my butchered interpretation sketch. itriedstar.jpg